Apple Inc. on Tuesday launched two new smartphones, the iPhone 8 and iPhone 8 Plus in an event which also saw the release of the premium iPhone X handset.
The iPhone 8 and 8 Plus are upgrades to Apple’s current iPhone 7 and 7 Plus range, updating some of the main features found on Apple’s current products.
According to the Chief Executive Officer of Apple Tim Cook, the company’s intention has always been to create something so magical, powerful, that the hardware virtually disappears adding that the new model was a “new step forward for iPhone” that will “set the path for technology for the next decade”.
Key features for iPhone 8 and 8 Plus include the following:
- Silver, space grey, new gold finish
- Apple claims it’s the most durable glass ever in a smartphone
- water and dust resistant
- 7″ display in the 8 and 5.5″ display in the Plus
- Stereo speakers. 25 percent louder than the speakers in the 7
- A11 bionic chip
- 12MP camera
- 4K 60fps video
- Cameras calibrated for augmented reality
- New Portrait Lighting feature: machine learning creates facial landmarks and enhances light effects on the face (8Plus)
- Wireless charging
- Pre order on September 15, available on September 22
- iOS 11 available on September 19
- 64GB and 256GB
- iPhone 8: £649 for 64GB, £849 for 256GB
- iPhone 8 Plus: £749 for 64GB, £949 for 256GB
As written by The Telegraph, iPhone 8 and iPhone 8 Plus are similar in appearance to the current iPhone 7 and 7 Plus.
The smaller version has a 4.7-inch screen, while the larger phone has a 5.5-inch screen and a dual camera lens on the back.
The processor is the A11 Bionic, “the most powerful and smartest chip ever in a smartphone,” Apple says.
There will be glass on the front and the back of the device, “reinforced by a laser welded steel and copper”. It will be water and dust resistant sealed.
“The new iPhone will have the most durable glass ever in a smartphone,” says Schiller.
Both models will have an HD retina display and feature a 12MP camera.
The iPhone 8 will be available in silver, space grey and a new blush gold colour.
The iPhone 8 will go on sale on September 22. You will be able to pre-order the new device from 15 September. iOS 11 will be available to download from 19 September.
The iPhone 8 will cost £699 for the 64GB version, while the iPhone 8 Plus will start from £799 (64GB). 256GB versions will also be available.
The new iPhones will come with Apple’s new operating system iOS 11. iOS 11 includes hundreds of new features like a redesigned control centre, better multitasking, improvements to the camera, peer-to-peer Apple Pay and new safety features.