Kenyan’s zeal to overcome terror has seen life resume back to normal after Tuesday’s terror attack at the Dusit D2 complex at 14 Riverside Westlands in Nairobi.
It has emerged that the terrorists had previously frequented the complex days before executing the heinous act.
The attack, as expected, will affect business as Nairobians will tend to be more cautious refraining from crowded places such as shopping malls and hotels. This, however, need not be the case, authorities are vigilant more than ever and have reassured Kenyans of their dedication to ensure safety.
It might take time before Kenyans can regain their confidence in touring crowded places, which are likely to reflect on the business of such facilities. But they too have a responsibility to ensure their visitors feel safe for business to pick up.
Businesses located within the 14 Riverside premises are also likely to suffer losses with not only the loss of a number of their staff to the attack but with having to close business for an unknown period of time.
On Wednesday, the Retail Trade Association of Kenya said that it had engaged the Government through the Trade Ministry and other agencies to facilitate enhanced security in Retail outlets.
Mall managements in conjunction with the Police and other partners have reviewed security operations to ensure secure environments for the safety of retailers and the public. The public has been urged to fully cooperate with the Police and security personnel at the malls, as they continue with the normal trading activities.
Due to the several number of people who were injured and the death of 21 civilians, including an American and a Briton, the tourism sector is bound to be looked at negatively. Notably, international visitors might be afraid to visit Kenya as was the case after the Westgate attack in 2013.
Although the United States and the United Kingdom have spared Kenya’s tourism travel advisories to their citizens after the attack, the US state department, nonetheless, has cautioned its citizens to be vigilant in Nairobi.
The Foreign and Commonwealth Office of Britain issued a similar alert but says its citizens are free to visit Kenya’s safari destinations in the national parks, reserves and wildlife conservancies as well as beach resorts.
Tourists from outside Kenya might not feel safe due to the issuance of precautionary measures. Those who had planned to visit the country might end up cancelling their trips for fears of what might happen next. After all, the New York Times shared disturbing images from the attack with their international audiences claiming they were showing the “real picture” of what was happening.
One thing that should be learned from the terrible ordeal is that buildings ought to be keen on having emergency exits. Most buildings in Nairobi were constructed with total disregard for exits that can help people escape should an emergency occur. The recent attack is an eye opener and the issue should be looked at an implemented. It might seem trivial but it goes a long way in saving lots of lives.