Top 10 Facts in World Cup 2018 That You Didn’t Know
By Soko Directory Team / July 4, 2018
The World Cup 2018 is still going on, full of surprises as always. The giants are falling and those thought to be the ‘chicken’ are sailing through. With this World, you just don’t know which team will be shaping in and which one will be shaping out.
Here are top 10 facts about this world cup that you may not have noticed:
- Jordan Pickford became the first England goalkeeper to save a penalty in a penalty shoot-out at a major tournament since David Seaman at World Cup in 1998 against Argentina Crucial.
- Did you know that until the match yesterday between England and Colombia, England had never won in any penalty shoot-out at the World Cup?
- During the match between Colombia and England, Yerry Mina scored a header on the 90th This was the 99th goal on the 90th minute in the history of World Cup.
- Harry Kane is the first player to score in six consecutive appearances since Tommy Lawton in 1939
- Did you know that Sweden has won back-to-back World Cup matches for the first time since 1958 when they were hosts?
- Japan scored 2 goals during their match with Belgium in the World Cup knockouts. This was the highest Japan’s goal tally in a single World Cup tournament.
- Mexico was eliminated from the World Cup during the knockouts. This was the seventh time in 1994, 1998, 2002, 2006, 2010, 2014 and 2018.
- The only host nations that have ever won in a penalty shootout during a World Cut are France in 1998, South Korea in 2002, Germany in 2006, Brazil in 2014 and Russia in 2014.
- Did you know that Russia is the first team to score multiple own goals in a World Cup tournament since 1966?
- The Mexican goalkeeper Guillermo Ochoa made eight saves during their match with Brazil, the only player who made such attempts within 90 minutes at the 2018 World Cup.
As the World Cup goes on, all the remaining matches will still be aired live on both the DStv and GOtv. Don’t fail to catch and enjoy the actions as well as some history that will be written.
More Articles From This Author