Cost of Acquiring Passports via E-citizen as Long Queues Dominate Nyayo House
By Virginia Mwangi / December 27, 2018 | 12:22 am
It is advisable to apply for legal documents such as birth certificate and passport when there is ample time as there is a list of requirements needed to procure them.
The process of acquiring legal documents in the country was computerized in 2015. In August 2017, the Government launched e-passport and despite this, the queues at the Nyayo House are still long. The rates increased with the computerization and below are a breakdown of the current rates to acquire or replace a passport.
- Ordinary 32-page passport has been increased to 4,500 shillings
- Ordinary 48-page passport 6,000 shillings
- 64-page passport 7,500 shillings
- East African passport costs 940 shillings
- A diplomatic 48-page passport will cost 7,500 shillings
- A 32-page service passport will cost 6,000 shillings
- Temporary permit 300 shillings
- Certificate of identity 3,000 shillings
- Replacing a lost passport one will need to pay 12,000 shillings
- To replace a valid but mutilated passport one will need to pay 10,000 shillings
- A temporary passport will cost 3,000 shillings
- To acquire emergency travel documents he or she will part with 1,600 shillings
- To regain citizenship will cost 5,000 shillings
- Registration for citizenship by marriage will now cost 30,000 shillings
- Registration for citizenship by marriage to spouses and for widows and widowers from East African states cost 5,000 shillings each.
- Registration for citizenship for widows and widowers 20,000 shillings
- Citizenship by registration for lawful residence 200,000 shillings
- Registration for citizenship for children and persons with disabilities 20,000 shillings
- Registration for citizenship by stateless persons 2,000 shillings
- Registration for citizenship by migrants 2,000 shillings
- Registration for citizenship for descendants of stateless persons and migrants 2,000 shillings
- Renunciation will cost 20,000 shillings
- Transit visa will now cost 1,600 shillings depending on the exchange rates.
- Ordinary single journey one will cost 4,000 shillings and multiple journeys will be 8,000 shillings
More Articles From This Author