Justice Marete Njagi as he appeared before the JSC
In one incident, Justice Marete was found to have a card indicating that he is a person living with a disability and the disability indicated on the card was "mental."
On Thursday, one Justice Marete D.K Njagi was facing the Judicial Service Commission seeking to be the Chief Justice of the Republic of Kenya to succeed Justice David Maraga who retired earlier this year.
Justice Marete has become a topic of discussion and memes among Kenyans on how he answered questions from the commissioners. His answers were full of humor and at one point he seemed as though he did not care about the outcome.
In one incident, Justice Marete was found to have a card indicating that he is a person living with a disability and the disability indicated on the card was “mental.” He had a hard time convincing the commissioners that he was not mentally ill.
Here are some of his 10 funny answers:
- When I was born, it is the nurse who cried.
- I am a very bad driver. If you leave the car with me, I will have to carry it.
- I have answered the question, as to how satisfactory that answer is, that’s another question.
- I am capable of this job, even my coffee shamba boy will tell you I’m capable.
- My wife is a retiree, she takes her pension from the judiciary and eats it or throws it away.
- When what you ordered is exactly what you got served.
- The voice of Kenyans is all over the air, it’s Marete they want, this is the man, the voice of Kenya. A man who made the nurse cry during his birth.
- I know my salary is public knowledge. My conception of income was anything apart from salary. My payslips are scattered all over.
- I’m the one who issued Mathare mental hospital with a mental illness card.
- I’m fit for the CJ role because even Kenyatta became Kenya’s President without any experience… Etc, etc, etc and then, etc.
More Articles From This Author