SBM Kicks Off Acquisition of Chase Bank Following CBK’s Approval

By Soko Directory Team / July 7, 2018




SBM Bank (Kenya) Limited has kicked off the acquisition of certain assets and assumption of certain liabilities of Chase Bank (Kenya) Limited, in line with the announcement of April 17, 2018. SBM Kenya is a wholly owned subsidiary of SBM Holdings Limited of Mauritius.

This follows CBK’s approval on June 13, 2018, for SBM Kenya to acquire certain assets and liabilities of CBLR as provided under Section 9 of the Banking Act and under the Central Bank Prudential Guidelines.

At the same time, approval was granted by the Cabinet Secretary, National Treasury on June 28, 2018, as provided under Section 9 of the Banking Act. The acquisition and assumption process will be completed on August 17, 2018.

SBM Kenya will assume 75 percent of the value of deposits under moratorium at CBLR, all non-moratorium deposits at CBLR, and will take-up over majority of CBLR branches and employees. The remaining 25 percent of the value of moratorium deposits along with other assets and liabilities remains in CBLR.

CBLR was issued with a banking license in 1996. On April 7, 2016, CBK placed CBLR into receivership when it failed to meet its financial obligations, and appointed the Kenya Deposit Insurance Corporation (KDIC) as the receiver manager.

SBM Holdings Limited is the third largest listed company on the Stock Exchange of Mauritius and had an asset base of over USD.5.6 billion (Ksh.560 billion) as at December 2017. It has operations in India, Madagascar and Kenya. It owns the second largest commercial bank in Mauritius (SBM Bank Holdings Limited).

With this transaction, SBM Kenya’s market share increases from 0.23 percent to about 2.4 percent and it moves from being a small to a medium-sized bank.



About Soko Directory Team

Soko Directory is a Financial and Markets digital portal that tracks brands, listed firms on the NSE, SMEs and trend setters in the markets eco-system.Find us on Facebook: facebook.com/SokoDirectory and on Twitter: twitter.com/SokoDirectory

View other posts by Soko Directory Team


More Articles From This Author








Other Related Articles










SOKO DIRECTORY & FINANCIAL GUIDE

ARCHIVES

2019
  • January 2019 (256)
  • February 2019 (216)
  • March 2019 (285)
  • April 2019 (254)
  • May 2019 (272)
  • June 2019 (252)
  • July 2019 (340)
  • August 2019 (170)
  • 2018
  • January 2018 (291)
  • February 2018 (219)
  • March 2018 (278)
  • April 2018 (225)
  • May 2018 (238)
  • June 2018 (178)
  • July 2018 (257)
  • August 2018 (249)
  • September 2018 (256)
  • October 2018 (287)
  • November 2018 (284)
  • December 2018 (187)
  • 2017
  • January 2017 (183)
  • February 2017 (195)
  • March 2017 (207)
  • April 2017 (104)
  • May 2017 (169)
  • June 2017 (205)
  • July 2017 (190)
  • August 2017 (195)
  • September 2017 (186)
  • October 2017 (235)
  • November 2017 (253)
  • December 2017 (266)
  • 2016
  • January 2016 (165)
  • February 2016 (165)
  • March 2016 (190)
  • April 2016 (143)
  • May 2016 (246)
  • June 2016 (183)
  • July 2016 (271)
  • August 2016 (249)
  • September 2016 (234)
  • October 2016 (191)
  • November 2016 (243)
  • December 2016 (153)
  • 2015
  • January 2015 (1)
  • February 2015 (4)
  • March 2015 (166)
  • April 2015 (109)
  • May 2015 (117)
  • June 2015 (121)
  • July 2015 (150)
  • August 2015 (157)
  • September 2015 (189)
  • October 2015 (170)
  • November 2015 (174)
  • December 2015 (208)
  • 2014
  • March 2014 (2)
  • 2013
  • March 2013 (10)
  • June 2013 (1)
  • 2012
  • March 2012 (7)
  • April 2012 (15)
  • May 2012 (1)
  • July 2012 (1)
  • August 2012 (4)
  • October 2012 (2)
  • November 2012 (2)
  • December 2012 (1)
  • 2011
    2010
    2009
    2008
    2007
    2006
    2005
    2004
    2003
    2002
    2001
    2000
    1999
    1998
    1997
    1996
    1995
    1994
    1993
    1992
    1991
    1990
    1989
    1988
    1987
    1986
    1985
    1984
    1983
    1982
    1981
    1980
    1979
    1978
    1977
    1976
    1975
    1974
    1973
    1972
    1971
    1970
    1969
    1968
    1967
    1966
    1965
    1964
    1963
    1962
    1961
    1960
    1959
    1958
    1957
    1956
    1955
    1954
    1953
    1952
    1951
    1950