JKUAT and Moi Universities to Supply KNBS With Tablets For 2019 Census

By Wilkister Alao / July 9, 2019



Kenyan among 4 African Countries expected to have 5G network by 2022

The Kenya National Bureau of Statistics (KNBS) has contracted Jomo Kenyatta University of Agriculture and Technology and Moi University to supply it with the 164,700 digital tablets to be used for the upcoming population census.

This is going to be the first time the population census conducted every ten years goes paperless as earlier announced by KNBS Director General Zachary Mwangi.

Moi University will supply 40 percent of the 164,700 tablets needed while Jomo Kenyatta University will supply the bureau with the remaining 60 percent.

The tablets that will be supplied by the two local universities will cost 470.5 million shillings. Each gadget will cost around 15,000 shillings. The tablets will also be installed with tracking software, questionnaires and area maps.

Remote areas without electricity will be supplied with solar chargers during the process.

The 135,000 enumerators, 27,000 content supervisors and 2,700 ICT supervisors employed by the bureau are expected to begin their training and work starting July 15 to August 25.

This is going to be the most expensive population census to be conducted in Kenya as compared to the last one in 2009 and the previous ones.

In the 2009 census, 8.4 billion shillings was spent for the whole process. 5 billion shillings was used to pay the employees.

This year’s census, on the other hand, is expected to cost Kenyans a sum of 18.5 billion shillings.

The data is however expected to be released earlier due to the introduction of the use of technological equipment.

Preliminary results are expected to be ready by November, while the final results will be ready by next year February.

The data collected during the population census is always shared among government ministries and departments to help give guidelines on resource allocation and distribution of wealth.





More Articles From This Author








Other Related Articles










SOKO DIRECTORY & FINANCIAL GUIDE

ARCHIVES

2019
  • January 2019 (256)
  • February 2019 (216)
  • March 2019 (285)
  • April 2019 (254)
  • May 2019 (272)
  • June 2019 (252)
  • July 2019 (340)
  • August 2019 (226)
  • 2018
  • January 2018 (291)
  • February 2018 (219)
  • March 2018 (278)
  • April 2018 (225)
  • May 2018 (238)
  • June 2018 (178)
  • July 2018 (257)
  • August 2018 (249)
  • September 2018 (256)
  • October 2018 (287)
  • November 2018 (284)
  • December 2018 (187)
  • 2017
  • January 2017 (183)
  • February 2017 (195)
  • March 2017 (207)
  • April 2017 (104)
  • May 2017 (169)
  • June 2017 (205)
  • July 2017 (190)
  • August 2017 (195)
  • September 2017 (186)
  • October 2017 (235)
  • November 2017 (253)
  • December 2017 (266)
  • 2016
  • January 2016 (165)
  • February 2016 (165)
  • March 2016 (190)
  • April 2016 (143)
  • May 2016 (246)
  • June 2016 (183)
  • July 2016 (271)
  • August 2016 (249)
  • September 2016 (234)
  • October 2016 (191)
  • November 2016 (243)
  • December 2016 (153)
  • 2015
  • January 2015 (1)
  • February 2015 (4)
  • March 2015 (166)
  • April 2015 (109)
  • May 2015 (117)
  • June 2015 (121)
  • July 2015 (150)
  • August 2015 (157)
  • September 2015 (189)
  • October 2015 (170)
  • November 2015 (174)
  • December 2015 (208)
  • 2014
  • March 2014 (2)
  • 2013
  • March 2013 (10)
  • June 2013 (1)
  • 2012
  • March 2012 (7)
  • April 2012 (15)
  • May 2012 (1)
  • July 2012 (1)
  • August 2012 (4)
  • October 2012 (2)
  • November 2012 (2)
  • December 2012 (1)
  • 2011
    2010
    2009
    2008
    2007
    2006
    2005
    2004
    2003
    2002
    2001
    2000
    1999
    1998
    1997
    1996
    1995
    1994
    1993
    1992
    1991
    1990
    1989
    1988
    1987
    1986
    1985
    1984
    1983
    1982
    1981
    1980
    1979
    1978
    1977
    1976
    1975
    1974
    1973
    1972
    1971
    1970
    1969
    1968
    1967
    1966
    1965
    1964
    1963
    1962
    1961
    1960
    1959
    1958
    1957
    1956
    1955
    1954
    1953
    1952
    1951
    1950