Know Your Governor: Here Are The 47 Governors Of Kenya
By Wilkister Alao / December 26, 2019 | 8:00 am
Devolution came about with the provision of positions of County governors. Maybe all we know is that governors are the county bosses and that we have 47 of them for each of the 47 counties, which is okay because that is the major role of governors.
Other Roles Of The Governors
Other than being the chief executive of the county and the head of the county executive committee to whom members of the county executive committee answer to while performing their functions, there are many other roles performed by governors.
The leadership of the county executive which involves appointing the county executive committee as stipulated in article 179(2) (b) of the Constitution with the approval of the County Assembly is bestowed upon the governor.
The governor also chairs meetings of the county executive committee and comes up with the portfolio structure for the county executive committee to respond to the functions and competencies that the law assigns and transfers to each county.
READ: The Top 20 Most Watched Videos in Kenya in The Year 2019
We may also know that the governor represents the county in both national and international fora, submits county plans to the County Assembly for approval and shoulder responsibilities such as promoting democracy and being accountable for management and usage of county resources.
We may know the aforementioned roles but the truth is that most Kenyans only know their own county names and governors.
It is highly unlikely that you will find many Kenyans who know all the 47 counties and their governors.
READ: Here Are Top 10 Most Searched Kenyan Personalities 2019
The only other governors that may be known to residents of other counties may be those who hit the headlines for various reasons, be it political or comical.
Do you know your governors? Here is a list of all the governors and the counties they represent;
- Baringo County – Stanley Kiptis
- Bomet County – Dr. Hillary Barchok
- Bungoma County- Wycliffe Wafula Wangamati
- Busia County- Sospeter Ojaamong
- Elgeyo Marakwet County- Alex Tolgos
- Embu County- Martin Wambora
- Garissa County- Bunow Ali Korane
- Homa Bay County – Cyprian Awiti
- Isiolo County- Mohammed Abdi Kuti
- Kajiado County- Joseph Ole Lenku
- Kakamega County- Wycliff Oparanya
- Kericho County- Paul Kiprono Chepkwony
- Kiambu County- Ferdinand Waititu Babayao
- Kilifi County- Amason Kingi
- Kirinyaga County- Anne Mumbi Waiguru
- Kisii County- James Ongwae
- Kisumu County- Prof. Peter Anyang’ Nyong’o
- Kitui County- Charity Ngilu
- Kwale County- Salim Mvurya
- Laikipia County- Ndiritu Muriithi
- Lamu County- Fahim Yassin Twaha
- Machakos County- Alfred Mutua
- Makueni County- Kivutha Kibwana
- Mandera County:- Ali Ibrahim Roba
- Marsabit County- Mohamud Mohamed Ali
- Meru County- Kiraitu Murungi
- Migori County – Zacharia Obado
- Mombasa County- Ali Hassan Joho
- Muranga County – Mwangi wa Iria
- Nairobi County- Mike Mbuvi Sonko
- Nakuru County- Lee Kinyanjui
- Nandi County- Stephen Kipyego Sang
- Narok County- Samuel Ole Tunai
- Nyamira County- John Obiero
- Nyandarua County- Francis Kimemia
- Nyeri County- Mutahi Kahiga
- Samburu County- Moses Kasaine
- Siaya County- Cornel Rasanga
- Taita Taveta County- Granton Graham Samboja
- Tana River County- Dhadho Gadae Godhana
- Tharaka Nithi County- Onesmus Muthomi Njuki
- Trans Nzoia County- Patrick Simonyu Khaemba
- Turkana County- Josphat Nanok
- Uasin Gishu County- Jackson Kiplagat Mandagor
- Vihiga County- Wilber Otichillo
- Wajir County- Mohamed Abdi Mahamud
- West Pokot County- John Kropp Lonyangapuo
More Articles From This Author