Six schools have gone up in flames so far. Bungoma County is leading with the number of schools that students have gone on the rampage.
A total of six schools have gone up in flames in a span of seven days and concerns now raise over what learners are up to after spending close to 9 months at home as a result of the Covid-19 pandemic following a directive from President Uhuru Kenyatta.
It started with Chesamisi Boy High School. Students engaged the police in an overnight running battle, destroyed almost everything they laid their hands on, including two cars belonging to their teachers. Smashed computers in the lab and broke windows.
Then followed St. Lukes Boys High School, Kimilili, Bungoma County who set ablaze their dormitory, engaged police in running battles, broke down windows, and destroyed books in the library. The school was forced to shut down and students sent home.
Bukembe Secondary School followed suit. The demolished old building, set ablaze their dormitory, destroyed books, and vandalized almost everything. The school was also shut down and students sent back home as the administration audit the damages.
In Baringo County, students of Kituro High School and Timboroa Boys High School are counting losses after a fire razed their dormitories on Sunday evening. The same incident happened at Kisumu Secondary School and the matter seems to be getting out of hand.
Ten students at Kimulot Boys in Konoin, Bomet County were arrested on Monday morning after a dormitory was set ablaze. The students were said to have been found with matchboxes and some with containers containing petrol that they bought outside the school.
Education Cabinet Secretary Prof. George Magoha who spoke in Kajiado said continued destruction of property will not be tolerated anymore. Magoha has blamed parents who were at home with their kids for 9 months for failure to take good care of them.