The Power of Disappearing: How Stepping Away For 6 Months Can Lead To A Better Life For You As An Entrepreneur
By Steve Biko Wafula / Published November 15, 2023 | 7:31 am
The phenomenon of disappearing is not a mere act of evasion but a strategic move that has the potential to unlock untapped potential. Whether in business, literature, sports, or personal development, intentional retreats have been the crucible for some of the most influential transformations in history
Stepping away from the spotlight can have a transformative effect on individuals, leading to new perspectives, creativity, and growth.
In today’s hyperconnected world, the idea of deliberately disappearing for an extended period might seem counterintuitive. However, history has shown us that there is a transformative power in temporarily vanishing from the public eye.
Individuals who have embraced this unconventional approach often return, not weaker, but surprisingly more powerful and evolved than before.
Read Also: The Dance of Wealth: Prioritizing Cash Flow Over Net Worth
Notable Examples of Intentional Disappearance
- Steve Jobs’ Reinvention After Apple Exit: In 1985, after being ousted from Apple, Steve Jobs took a six-month hiatus. During this period of seclusion, he delved into self-reflection, honed his creativity, and ultimately founded NeXT, a company that played a pivotal role in his eventual return to Apple. Jobs’ disappearance was not a retreat but a strategic move that allowed him to reinvent himself and shape the future of technology.
- K. Rowling’s Wizarding World Creation: Before unveiling the first Harry Potter book, J.K. Rowling disappeared from the public eye for six months. This intentional withdrawal allowed her to immerse herself in the wizarding world she was creating, resulting in a literary phenomenon that transformed not only her life but the entire landscape of contemporary literature.
- Michael Jordan’s Diversification: After he retired from basketball, Michael Jordan took a brief hiatus to pursue a baseball career. This unexpected pivot showcased a different facet of his skills and resilience, illustrating that intentional disappearance can be a catalyst for diversification and personal growth.
- Winston Churchill’s Recharge and Return: After facing political setbacks, Winston Churchill retreated from politics and focused on painting and writing. This period of reflection allowed him to recharge and return with renewed vigor, contributing to his legacy as a statesman.
The Art of Disappearing in the Digital Age
- Influencer Casey Neistat’s Creative Refocus: Casey Neistat, a well-known influencer, took a hiatus to refocus on his creative roots. This deliberate break not only rejuvenated his content but also deepened his connection with the audience upon his return.
Read Also: Top 7 Wealth Protection Baskets in Kenya: Weaving A Financial Tapestry For Your Future
The Benefits of Intentional Disappearance
- Reassess Priorities and Goals: Disappearing allows individuals to break the monotony of routine and provides an opportunity to reassess priorities and redefine goals. It is not about escaping from reality but rather taking a calculated retreat to harness inner strength and emerge stronger.
- Unlock Untapped Potential: The psychology behind this phenomenon suggests that absence can indeed make the heart grow fonder, both in personal relationships and professional pursuits.
- The Hero’s Journey: A Symbol of Transformation: The hero’s journey, a narrative archetype found in mythologies across cultures, often involves a period of seclusion or exile. This symbolic death and rebirth resonate with the collective unconscious, emphasizing the transformative power of embracing the unknown.
The phenomenon of disappearing is not a mere act of evasion but a strategic move that has the potential to unlock untapped potential. Whether in business, literature, sports, or personal development, intentional retreats have been the crucible for some of the most influential transformations in history. Embracing the art of disappearing might just be the key to unlocking your untapped reservoirs of strength and innovation.
Read Also: Unveiling the Wealth Chronicles: The SAD Tale of Competence Versus Connections In Kenya
More Articles From This Author