Where on earth can someone desperate for a job get a total of 4,750 shillings before applying for a job? This is one question that has been bothering many, and the cause deserves to die.
The job market isn’t the only factor considered gruesome and frustrating for the millennials ever on the lookout for jobs, some state services are too. The two have shamelessly and blindly trumped on countless dreams for a better life leaving many with deep sighs of resignation as hopes of securing employment continues to elude them.
In March 2018, reports from the Kenya National Bureau of Statistics (KNBS), showed that 7 million Kenyans are unemployed. Of the total number, 20 percent, which is a whopping 1.4 million people have been actively seeking for jobs. The rest, 80 percent, have given up the search, and some have even decided to pursue further studies.
The unemployment status in Kenya is grim. The numbers aren’t what we see. It is a hard knock life across the counties. People are struggling to get something to eat at the end of the day when certain government services require some unnecessary documents before even one knows where to find work.
In the spirit of the majority of Kenyans who feel frustrated at certain requirements including HELB clearance certificates, certificate of good conduct, and other paraphernalia that consumes what another person strives to get in a whole month, we can all agree that the documents are unnecessary. Well, in some cases, they may be absolutely necessary, of course, no one wants to employ someone who will bring nothing but trouble. But at least, the certificate of good conduct should be free, and if not, let its cost be lowered!
Nearly all the highest paying jobs require these documents and no youth – who apparently is desperate for money – is happy with the idea of having to spend lots of cash on something they aren’t even sure will push through.
It would seem someone out there is out to make things even complicated. If you do not understand what you are reading, here is a breakdown of how a certificate of good conduct, HELB, and EACC clearance, and Credit Reference Bureau clearance certificate are charged.
The Certificate of Good Conduct, one of the requirements for many job markets can only be obtained after paying a total of 1,050 shillings. That’s right. A whole one thousand plus for a piece of paper that says “Hey, I am not a criminal!” even when everyone already knows you are not. It may not seem much to you but there is someone out there slaving for three days or a week to get that much.
HELB Clearance is another menace. Government jobs require this certificate. It doesn’t matter whether you were sponsored by these government funds or not, everyone must obtain it at a cost of 1,000 shillings. In other words, you are paying for not having any outstanding arrears!
The Ethics and Anti-Corruption Commission (EACC) clearance form is among the essential extra requirements you need. Not only is it one of the hardest form to get, but you also have to pay for it. The 500 shillings payment is for not being corrupt. We were misunderstood when we cried for devolution. Instead of more jobs, this form came to life.
The pain on the neck that is the Credit Reference Bureau Clearance form goes at 2,200 shillings. This is in payment for not having debts or outstanding loan. Funny enough, this isn’t only the case when you want to borrow a loan, it is also a requirement in some job applications! This is by far the most expensive of the discussed clearance forms.
Now, do the math, in total, it amounts to 4,750 shillings, which brings us to our opening question. Where can someone who is looking for a job get that amount? The youth are anticipating jobs and yet there are lots of obstacles standing in the way. The struggle is real, and this is where we draw the line when it comes to saying “bora uhai.”