Gikomba market traders are once again counting losses after a fire burnt down their stalls barely five months since 15 people died while over 60 others nursed serious injuries following a fire at the timber and second-hand clothes section.
The fire that went all the way to Wednesday morning is said to have started at about 2 am as emergency and rescue response teams fought to contain the inferno.
The Kenya Police, General Service Unit (GSU), Kenya Red Cross, Nairobi Fire brigade were amongst those on the ground to ensure safety as the fire brigade worked to put out the fire. Traders watched from a distance as security officers blocked entry to the burning section in an attempt to avoid casualties.
The Kenya Red Cross said that the fire had been contained by the Nairobi fire brigade team despite billowing smoke that could be seen from a distance. There were no casualties reported.
On 28th June 2018, a fire that killed 15 people destroyed property worth millions at the Kwa Mbao section. Authorities including Nairobi Governor, Mike Sonko, promised to have a multi-agency team formed to investigate the cause of the fire. Sonko revealed that the County Government would work together with DCI investigators to uncover the cause of recurrent fire cases while seeking preventive solutions. There was no word on the progress of Sonko’s promise to the traders almost five months on.
A block near the U&I microfinance banking hall was among the property burnt down. A tweet by the Kenya Red Cross read; “Gikomba Market in Nairobi is on fire. Response teams are at the scene. Updates to follow”